PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hard as I try - I just don't get it!
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2007, 00:40
willadvise

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FTDK
From a controllers point of view...
We have a "duty of care" to attempt to insure collisions don't occur. If we see something that looks like a potential conflict and we say nothing we may be liable for prosecution if it goes wrong. Unfortunately as you know we can't monitor the CTAF so we don't know what you have worked out or if you have got each other visual. It gives every controller a tightened sphincter every time you see 2 paints get close and you don't hear anything said.
There are no records kept of your all stations call and the controller may not have been paying full attention. We are taught not to make any assumptions and VFR are not required to advise us when they change there intentions so we never make assumptions on what you are going to do. I have on occasion heard an all stations broadcast and thought it was a particular paint only to discover that it wasn't and the aircraft concerned was not on radar at all. As to still being on a discreet code. I assume you were told at some stage "identification terminated" when you left class C airspace. The ident would not be relayed to the next controller once this has happened (unless you asked for flight following). Therefore from the controllers point of view you are an unidentified aircraft which we can make no assumptions about you until you are reidentified and you intentions clarified.

ATC is all about time management. When you have a spare moment most controllers will get something done because in 15 mins time (when you want your clearance) there maybe an emergency, a pop-up, weather deviations, clearance through restricted area etc. In this case you got your code early. It allows everyone down the line the plan for your clearance and/or sequence. Traffic info would be able to be passed more efficiently (ie "ABC traffic is DEF a Bo tracking YIFL-YBTL A065", instead of"ABC traffic is unidentified VFR aircraft in your 12oclock maintaining unverified A065 appears to be tracking YIFL-YBTL")
Cheers
WA