PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Garmin going ahead with ADS-B
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2007, 00:31
RFdev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ADS-B In and flarm

Hi Dick, Chris , others

New to the network and have a few comments on ADS-B which I have been involved in for nearly 10 years back when I owned Microair ( now not my company ) There are several ADS-B in systems available and also our own design which will work on 3 or 4 different displays currently available (Garmin,Honeywell, Grand rapids etc) as well as PDA displays and dedicated LCD types. Our receiver is an OEM product so it will be a plug in board OR stand alone chassis. This is also designed and made in Queensland. ADS-B out systems are not limited to Garmin, honeywell have had one out for 2 years or more and Filser have ADS-B/Mode A/C and S in 57mm as well as panel mount, their distributor here in Oz is www.avionicsaustraliasia.com They also have a handheld ADS-B out/mode A/C and S transponder - real interesting.

Gliding in Australia has adopted a "mini ADS-B " type of collision warning system called Flarm or OzFLARM. It works in a similiar fashion to ADS-B but on a 900 mhz frequency and shorter range. Over 300 units are in operation in Australia, 40 in New Zealand and 5,000 in Europe. Our ADS-B in receiver will also receive Flarm (option) thus enabling G.A aircraft to SEE glider traffic when in range, this is a world first for Australia and some groundbreaking technology which combines the 2 systems.

Hope this has been of some interest to others, please feel free to PM me if you have any questions on ADS-B or Flarm technology.

Nigel Andrews - RF Developments