PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TCAS safety deficiency and the AIPA, AFAP and GAPAN
Old 6th Mar 2007, 00:11
Scurvy.D.Dog
I'm in one of those moods

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dick … I did give you the answer/s …. Go back and read page 3 and 4 again!
It is my view (not necessarily representative of AsA’s view, although I would be surprised if it varies) that WAMLat was commissioned for TAS for three main reasons:-
1. It is to a ‘proving’ trial for system accuracy and reliability .. with eventual roll-out to the terminal area in YSSY to replace PRM which is approaching life end!
2. To have comparative data available it had to be put somewhere where RADAR exists (Temporary RADAR like LT is the natural choice given the RADAR will be removed at some point in the not to distant future)
3. Once commissioned the coverage will improve and remain for air traffic in TAS (there is a lot more of it than people think). Since the introduction of surveillance services in TAS during AusNAS2b, the increase in efficiency of services being provided by ATS i.e. HB TWR, LT TWR and ML centre is frankly huge. With traffic growth, it would onerous and restrictive to be doing these areas 'purely' procedurally …. Surveillance of any sort has paid for it self may times already … (it can be calculated and shown)
. Point 3 is the crux of what has been discussed for other areas (mining triangle etc)
Regarding VDL 4 …. I must confess to not understanding the Swedish position on this. Perhaps being 15 years in the testing, they feel they do not want to waste that! What is telling though is the other nations assessing options seem to agree that it is not necessary and other options are …. In any event, from my reading of the information, some manufacturers have open architecture so it can be included or not as the case may be. In our context, it will matter not as Oz owned equipment being compatible with the rest of the world.!
The final statement I would make about the ‘holes in the anti-collison’ cake is this …. Time wasted is additional time available for an accident …. Existing Mode C/TCAS WAMLat wil close some of that error opportunity until ADS-B is fitted fleet wide …. As far as I am aware that is the most effective and timely way of addressing these deficiency issues ….. had we started 12months ago, there would have been less holes than today! …. Lets not waste any more time!
Cheers
Dog
.. I'm off fishing for a coupla days ... see yas on the flip side