PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - In-flight calculation for Centre of Gravity
Old 5th Mar 2007, 23:26
Milt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the 1950s we TPs had to grapple with CGs moving around.

The following from memoirs.

Weapons release trials from the Valiant created a challenge. Keeping the centre of gravity (cg) within limits was an onerous task during normal flight, requiring frequent use of a special purpose slide rule. Fuel usage from three fuselage tanks and four wing tanks was juggled to keep within limits. Weapon releases from the load points along the weapons bay considerably complicated the cg position management. I would often spend several hours planning fuel usage for the release trials. Electronic calculators and computers had not yet become available. Pondering the problem one day I reasoned that I should be able to accomplish the weight and balance solution electrically. I considered various approaches to the problem before settling for a relatively simple solution.

My plan was to use a centre reading micro-ammeter scaled to show the centre of gravity (cg) range of the Valiant. I represented each fuel cell and each loading point with a module made up of a battery cell and two potentiometers. One potentiometer was scaled from zero to the maximum load possible at the location represented. The second potentiometer was used to adjust the effectiveness on the total cg position for weight at that load point. Polarity was arranged to swing the meter left or right appropriate to the direction of movement of the cg. All modules were linked in series, together with a module for setting the cg position for an empty aircraft.

I found to my delight that the electrical solution was within 5% of any solution produced by the slide rule or mathematically. This accuracy was more than adequate. It was not long before I was carrying my magic box on to the aircraft where it was used extensively to quickly determine the feasibility of variations to trial plans in flight. The box saved me an enormous amount of time during pre-flight planning.

The Vulcan and Victor each had automatic fuel flow control to keep the cg within bounds. Nevertheless we were required to test weapon releases for cg position at the limits before we could issue a release for squadron operations. My cg calculating machine proved to be very popular.