PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TCAS safety deficiency and the AIPA, AFAP and GAPAN
Old 5th Mar 2007, 21:12
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
Scurvy.D.Dog, I am fascinated and have one question. If you are so convinced that ADS-B is the way to go, why is your employer spending millions of dollars in installing a multilateration system in Tasmania? Could it be that there are people at Airservices who are not convinced that ADS-B, transmitting a GPS position, is the way to go in the short to medium term, and that is why they are going ahead with multilateration which will work with standard Mode C transponders?

I would love to have an answer on this.

It should be noted that Airservices has ADS-B ground stations going in across Australia. They have obviously decided to use multilateration Tasmania.

By the way, you state:

… unless I missed something, it seems pretty clear where the world is headed with ADS-B
I cannot agree. If you look at all the postings there seems to be a lot of interest in the Swedish VDL Mode 4 system for GA. The International Council of Aircraft Owners and Pilots Associations states:

The most prominent technology – successfully tested over the last 15 years is VDL Mode 4
Of course, Airservices are not planning VDL Mode 4 for GA. Do you have a comment on this?

Scurvy.D.Dog, you state:

…. wasn’t this thread about urgency of adopting international best practice (effective, efficient and affordable) anti-collision safety measures?
No, it was actually about Australia harmonising with world requirements for TCAS for 10 to 30 passenger aircraft. This TCAS exists today and can save lives today. Any ADS-B system (even if the decision was made today) would take several years before it could be certified and the safety benefits of ADS-B ‘in’ could be achieved.