PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Next step up from a pa28 140?
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2007, 21:01
deice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was going to suggest an Archer, but that's already been done. Unless you want to get really exotic there isn't that much to choose from in the 4-place market at that price. The Piper 6 is a real load hauler in case that's of interest and they were introduced in teh sixties so you could find a bargain. Bullet proof engine which even runs on mogas if you need it to. In fact, it outperforms the Seneca I fly as well in terms of load and utility.

Do you fly from short grass strips or mainly hard runways? The Commander 112/114 would probably make it to the list.The main issue with the Commanders is that the 112 has poor useful load, if you go by the book. The 114 is alot better but it's heavy and doesn't enjoy short damp grass fields.
By comparison you won't find a sturdier aircraft than the Commander. They're built like tanks. If safety is in your mind then the two doors and massive structure are two very comforting items. Our 114B cruises 145 kts burning about 13gph US at 6-7' feet. Don't know book speeds for the Rockwell variants but I believe they're similar.

I'm not being very helpful am I.
If I were you I'd try to find a nice Archer or Dakota unless you want a bigger airplane in which case I would choose the Six. If maintenance costs are not an issue either the Arrow or Lance/Saratoga would be on the list. The 6-seat Pipers are very nice - much more comfortable for travelling even if you don't fill the seats and you can load the cabin with gear. The biggest reason for the improved comfort, in my point of view, is the stability for IFR and the fact that the engine is separated from the cabin by the luggage compartment. It does wonders for sound proofing. Then again there's ANR these days.

Good luck hunting!