PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TCAS safety deficiency and the AIPA, AFAP and GAPAN
Old 5th Mar 2007, 13:52
Scurvy.D.Dog
I'm in one of those moods

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a huge opportunity here …. indulge me for a few more minutes!
It shows what a complete nightmare ADS-B is at the moment.
…. on balance, the technology was only ever going to go this way (with a couple of MINOR variations) … that was what we were trying to tell you last time around. As you can see from the growing list of manufacturers .. the only ‘nightmare’ (if it is one) is sovereign counties working out how best to fund fleet wide … sure there are various views ….. at this point!
As I have stated before, it looks to me to be the Betamax/VHS problem all over again.
…. jumping on the UAT bandwagon would have been the Betamax all over again!
ADS-B, if not properly implemented, it may become a black hole for more millions of €s.
… that’s exactly right …. The bottom line is pretty simple IMHO ….. it has to be funded (fleet wide) …. It has to go to tender (this is where Oz manufacturers could do very well here and abroad, Xchange rates being what they are ….. best unit price?) …. It has to be ordered in bulk (economy of scale … further reduce unit price dramatically) …. those who do not have mode C get it first! .. whilst the units are being installed/delivered (installation factored in), the ground stations (WAMLat/ADS-B) going in where MSSR is due for replacement, any additional units prioritised for areas based on AeroStudy priority (the triangle etc) …. The avionics already developed will support SAT for the other stuff (arguably better anyhow for bandwidth protection of the important part .. traffic!)
.. was it Senex that had all the bases covered for GA?!?
It is still early days of course.
… yep, lets get moving, lets put the cost savings (safety and efficiency, for commercial and GA) on the table … Mr Howard receives a handsome dividend each year from ATS … this program will be saving on future maintenance and purchases of RADAR heads, traffic management efficiencies, huge leap in SA safety … someone correct me if I am out of the ball park … even if you roughed out the worse case costs of roll-out … how long do you think it would take the Gov’t to recoup the outlay from offset savings?? .... those with the gear (commercial) are winning already, as will GA when installed! …. from then on …. funds for further improvements or back to industry or whatever!
I have now written to Honeywell to find out the cost of an ADS-B KT73 transponder for my Cessna C208B, and I have written again to Collins for an updated price on ADS-B ‘out’ for the Proline 21 system in the CJ3. I will post the answers here.
…. Have you written to any non-US manufactures??
I have a feeling that they are either going to be staggering prices, or not yet available. We will see.
…. It will make a good starting point for price negotiation (for existing com glass systems as well as GA install)!
The first link with the Raytheon submission seems to me to make a lot of sense. In fact, I just can’t see the FAA going ahead with the dual system now that they have XM WX weather to transmit real-time weather information etc. When they came up with the UAT Capstone Project, there was no such thing as direct satellite weather to the aircraft cockpit at low cost. This changes everything.
….
I have a feeling that we may see the US go to ADS-B Mode S squitter and rely on TCAS for aircraft to aircraft resolution advisories.
..maybe for the glass kero burners … GA will get much the same from other manufacturers …. Unless Honeywell compete for GA as well … in which case the invoice had better be lean and mean
It will certainly be interesting to see what happens internationally.
… unless I missed something, it seems pretty clear where the world is headed with ADS-B
Personally I cannot see what the desperate hurry is for Australia to be one of the leaders in this.
…. wasn’t this thread about urgency of adopting international best practice (effective, efficient and affordable) anti-collision safety measures?
… nite all!

Last edited by Scurvy.D.Dog; 5th Mar 2007 at 14:05. Reason: fatigue induced gramma farkups .. time for the cot!