PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hard as I try - I just don't get it!
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2007, 13:10
ForkTailedDrKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Quote:
Some time after I have settled in the cruise, TL Appr want me to confirm that I am direct IFL. That kinda threw me at first cause I seemed to be on track and couldn't see where else I would have been going. Then it dawned on me that if IFR I would be via SPARO, but I am VFR and couldn't give a flying fig about SPARO.
So, why were they calling you? They knew you were VFR, they know what Direct means....
Had you unintentionally flown yourself to SPARO?

Yes, I must confess I was unintentionally headed for SPARO - cause its on the direct track TL-IFL

Quote:
Up around Dunk, Centre starts to get a bit excited about the "VFR aircraft, unverified at 6500" "VFR aircraft 5 nm north of Dunk Is, please identify!" So I did. "Confirm your are on descent to IFL"! Yep, that's what's in my flightplan and that's what I said in my "all stations" call, and like a good boy (I think!), and I am still on the discreet tranponder code that TL gave to me.
There must have been a reason for this. Were you flying direct, or using your GPS approach like you do every day flying IFR?

Old George flew straight as a die TL-IFL. I have the trace on my moving map to prove it!

Quote:
Imagine my surprise when the Centre lady calls me unsolicited with a transponder code???? I am VFR in Type G Airspace and don't need a clearance for 30 min, and I am being given a code without asking for it?? OK, thanks very much!
ATC were probably looking to verify that you were indeed that particular 1200 squawk on the screen.

Could be!

Perhaps they were providing seperation for another aircraft,

Maybe!

or perhaps were being efficient enough in preparing your clearance ahead of time.

Possibly!

but a VFR Bo calling TL Appr at 40 nm for a clearance when there is hardly a cloud in the sky and maybe only one or two other aircraft on the frequency wouldn't seem to require much forward planning, if you ask me.

I hope you didnt refuse to give them a code.

Nah, the nice lady was trying to give me a code. How could I refuse!

Don't get me wrong. I am not having a go at the controllers - just the system!

FTDK