PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hard as I try - I just don't get it!
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2007, 11:50
ForkTailedDrKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hard as I try - I just don't get it!

Had a bit of a nostalgia trip today. The Bo was just out of maintenance so I took it on a "shake down" cruise from YBTL to YIFL to say hello to Cowboy Bob. There wasn't a cloud in the sky so I went VFR - for old time sake.

Now I thought the new order of things was that if you are VFR the "system" don't want to know you. Was a time when it meant that you could just call up for a clearance just prior to taxi in TL, and get it, but these days if you do that the response is "standby while I put your details in the system!". OK, I can put my details in the system myself, and I had on this occassion, so off I go. Got my clearance - TL direct IFL, VFR at A065, code whatever.

Some time after I have settled in the cruise, TL Appr want me to confirm that I am direct IFL. That kinda threw me at first cause I seemed to be on track and couldn't see where else I would have been going. Then it dawned on me that if IFR I would be via SPARO, but I am VFR and couldn't give a flying fig about SPARO.

Up around Dunk, Centre starts to get a bit excited about the "VFR aircraft, unverified at 6500" cause ****** are departing Dunk for CS, but I had had a chat to the ****** guy when I heard his taxi call on CTAF - we were cool, and I had given a TOD call on the area freq which Centre seemed to have missed. "VFR aircraft 5 nm north of Dunk Is, please identify!" So I did. "Confirm your are on descent to IFL"! Yep, that's what's in my flightplan and that's what I said in my "all stations" call, like a good boy (I think!), and I am still on the discreet tranponder code that TL gave to me.

On departure IFL later in the afternoon, I gave an "all stations" call on the area freq as well as the usual CTAF chit-chat with the Jabiru that rolled ahead of me and the C152 in the circuit. Imagine my surprise when the Centre lady calls me unsolicited with a transponder code???? I am VFR in Type G Airspace and don't need a clearance for 30 min, and I am being given a code without asking for it?? OK, thanks very much!

So what's the point to my ramblings?

Would it not be easier for all concerned if I was VFR full-reporting - like the good old days?

That's the last time I go VFR anywhere - its just too hard for me! I am going to crawl back into my nice, straight forward IFR cocoon.

FTDK

Last edited by ForkTailedDrKiller; 5th Mar 2007 at 13:12.