PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TCAS safety deficiency and the AIPA, AFAP and GAPAN
Old 5th Mar 2007, 00:18
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
Scurvy.D.Dog, an excellent posting and excellent information (the posting with all of the downloads). It shows what a complete nightmare ADS-B is at the moment.

As I have stated before, it looks to me to be the Betamax/VHS problem all over again. I particularly noted the posting by the International Council of Aircraft Owners and Pilots Associations:

· Most GA can NOT afford dual link equipage
· The most prominent technology – successfully tested over the last 15 years is VDL Mode 4 …
· What is wrong with using something which has been invented in Europe if there is no single system worldwide?
Also note the very important comment under the “What GA needs” page:

ADS-B, if not properly implemented, it may become a black hole for more millions of €s.
It is still early days of course. When I ordered my CJ3 I asked to have ADS-B ‘out’, but from what I could make out (I could never get a definite price) it was going to cost over $100,000.

I have now written to Honeywell to find out the cost of an ADS-B KT73 transponder for my Cessna C208B, and I have written again to Collins for an updated price on ADS-B ‘out’ for the Proline 21 system in the CJ3. I will post the answers here. I have a feeling that they are either going to be staggering prices, or not yet available. We will see.

The first link with the Raytheon submission seems to me to make a lot of sense. In fact, I just can’t see the FAA going ahead with the dual system now that they have XM WX weather to transmit real-time weather information etc. When they came up with the UAT Capstone Project, there was no such thing as direct satellite weather to the aircraft cockpit at low cost. This changes everything.

I have a feeling that we may see the US go to ADS-B Mode S squitter and rely on TCAS for aircraft to aircraft resolution advisories.

It will certainly be interesting to see what happens internationally. Personally I cannot see what the desperate hurry is for Australia to be one of the leaders in this.

OZBUSDRIVER, you state:

Dick, I cannot understand why you continue to push for a system that may well be going the same way as NDBs.
OZBUSDRIVER, that is just it. I have never pushed for a system. I am the person who says we should wait and find out what is going to happen in other leading aviation countries. Where did you ever get an idea that I was pushing for a particular system? I do agree that I have said that I believe ADS-B is the way to go, however it would be very risky for Australia to leap in too early – it will be a disadvantage for us.