PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - business management
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2007, 00:00
Buster Hyman

Evertonian

Received 106 Likes on 60 Posts
Swanie, if you want to get into Airline Management, you need networking skills & more suction than a Hoover! I wouldn't bother.

However, I would still do another degree/diploma whatever. If management is your "thang", you will need these. The PIC as management won't cut the mustard I reckon. Sure, it will help and I agree that there are many people skills that you will utilise in this role however, they will cut you down with "What kind of performance management did you employ in the PIC role?" and "What size budget were you working with?". Those are the types of questions that will negate the "management" skills a PIC possesses, if that is your only leadership role.

After Ansett fell over...(queue violins)...the Diploma of Management helped me get on with a career away from aviation however, it's been a bit of a slog as you have to start at the bottom & work your way up. What also helps is cleverly translating what you have done in the airlines into words that reflect real world terminology. I am still just shy of where I was income wise after the collapse, to give you an example, but I'm on the way.

Bottom line, in a nutshell, at the end of the day...(pick your favourite)...I would do the course, but not as a means of climbing the aviation food chain, I would do it as a failsafe for if things go pear shaped in your chosen line of work.

Go get 'em tiger!