PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental Airlines Newark Chief Pilot in De-Icing Controversy
Old 4th Mar 2007, 23:30
Angryfool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I initially read this post I thought it was a wind-up! I'm hoping this is, but then again my experience of chief pilot's is that after a while they forget what flying is all about, and become more like accountant's.

Loose
powdery snow covering the surfaces of the aircraft. Outside temperature
was well below freezing. Was de-icing warranted that morning? It’s my
opinion it was NOT. Flight Manual Sec 3, page 349 states, “The check to
determine the need for de-icing is an examination of critical aircraft
surfaces to ensure they are free of any ADHERING ice, snow, slush, or
frost.
I mean what is this muppet on!!
As Capt Numpty pointed to the Air Florida crash in Washington, there are many other's as well.

It was more than my opinion that morning that the loose powdery
snow would have departed almost immediately during the takeoff roll
How about the aircraft that is ahead of you at the r/way hold melting the snow with the heat from it's engine's exhaust. Of course this would then turn the snowy wing into an icy one. I'm sure that the chief pilot thinks that this acceptable as well, because the probability is so tiny, it'll only happen to a few aircraft a year, and even then they should all be ok.

Flight Manual Sec 3, page 349 states, “The check to
determine the need for de-icing is an examination of critical aircraft
surfaces to ensure they are free of any ADHERING ice, snow, slush
Any pilots who work for CAL, could you confirm the 'ADHERING' bit for me. Is this correct? I find it very difficult to comprehend in the context it is being taken; unless it is implying that if the snow is falling and melting (ie not adhering) then it is permissable to depart.