PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - One for the FS2000 fans.......not!
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2000, 01:26
jfe117

Wink

From Avsim's PMDG forum (757/767 for Fly!)

Quote-
"I went 30 miles out, at 15000 ft. I shut down the engines via the fuel control switches, and started the APU running with its respective bleed air isolation valves open. I did not deploy the RAM-AIR turnine, yet, I still had hydraulic power all through the exercise. I maintained, or tried to at least, 250 knots on descent. I was going down at about 2000 fpm, with no drag added(weight was about 268K lb). I arrived at the outer marker about 5000 ft above the GS capture point, and thus had to circle once over the marker to lose some height. After return to inbound course, I had lost about 3000 ft, and slowed down to 200knots.I was still kind of high, so I put in a couple of notches of flaps, and lowered the landing gear. I had to pitch down a lot to make it to the runway, so I added flaps up to 15 deg, and controlled the airspeed via the spoilers/airbrakes. I maintained 175 knots all through final, with descent rates in between 3500 and 4000 fpm. The spoilers were out all through final. When about 300 ft AGL I retracted the spoilers and let that excess energy bleed through the flare. To my surprise, the flare was a non-event(bad inertia modeling?) and the pitch angle was 8 deg at most on touchdown; I used up almost all 9000ft of runway again though. With the descent rate attained, I was expecting something like a power stall, where my wings would stall due to disruption of laminar flow(forced), but the plane responded like a regular level out. I knew the structure could take it, but aerodynamically it should have been a different story, anybody disagree?
Well, I really did not have to mess with the upper panel much, and still maintained control, so I don't know if I did things right. I have my settings to full realism, so I guess I must have missed some other thing.

I'll have to say, I would NEVER want to be in a real airplane duplicating what I just simulated, I'm sure I'd be in diarrhea all the way down!

Regards,
Max " - Unquote

If you want a simulator, use Fly!....if you just want to fly pretty planes from the outside view use FS2000.......

------------------
'I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend, to the death, your right to say it' - Voltaire