PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flybe to aquire BA Connect. Crew thread. (No Spotters)-(Part 2)
Old 4th Mar 2007, 19:29
remoak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ghenghis

Not sure what your problem is... in my time in flybe, I worked directly with Jim French on a few occasions, and found him unfailingly polite, helpful, and competent. He never denigrated pilots (that seems to be an urban myth), and went out of his way to help solve issues that directly affected pilots. It is true to say that when dealing with pilots' issues (and other staff issues) he had his eye firmly on the bottom line, but then what manager doesn't? That is his job, if he doesn't do it properly, nobody has a job.

I have also never heard of Jim French bullying anybody, it always seemed to me that his management style was inclusive and open. I'm sure that he has had to speak firmly to people on occasion, but, once again, that is part of being a CEO.

Jim French inherited a complete shambles, and has done very well to turn it around in the short time he has had. The company was virtually dead when he took over, in fact I am surprised we survived that period - at one point, we were only hours away from closing the doors. It was Jim French that managed to buy us some time, pretty much through a sheer display of character, and that is the reason that everybody (including all the rashers) still has jobs.

Much as I hate to be thought of as a management sycophant, the truth is that the majority of the flybe management team have stepped up. Most of the key players were with flybe when it was Jersey European and not very big or complex, and they have had to drastically raise their game. Most have done so very well. Yes, there have been a few tossers (particularly in Flight Ops), but most didn't last long.

I'm sorry, Ghengis, that Jim didn't suck up to you sufficiently to entice you to stay. That isn't his job, as it happens, you can thank your own incompetent management for that - they are responsible for managing you until the deal is done. It sounds as though flybe is better off without you, and all your rasher colleagues that can't deal with their bitterness.

Flybe fail? I rather doubt it. But let's see what happens when they float. My guess is that they will go from strength to strength, and you will have missed a golden opportunity.