PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lean and/or Pulse. Are they producing the goods?
Old 4th Mar 2007, 18:24
Si Clik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LEAN 2P RIE

Oops nearly lost in the speak, I must now be assimilated.

From my perspective there is a lot right about looking at your process, working out the constituent parts, and then putting it together in a logical fashion to gain the best most efficient ouput.

The problem we have in the military applying what seems like commonsense is this:

A. LEAN is a total system, to make it work it has to be 100% not piecemeal and should be end to end - ie What are the defence goals of the UK, what do we need... all the way to how many bullets do we need to kill the enemy.
B. When TOYOTA do LEAN they don't argue with the outcome that says you need to spend £1.2m or more to make a long term efficiency saving.
C. When TOYOTA do LEAN the top neddies don't say we need to save XX posts during this event.
D. When TOYOTA do LEAN they have a supply chain that can actually deliver components Just In Time rather than Just Too Late or Never at all.
E. TOYOTA don't rob one car on the production line to make another.

In sum a great idea but completely unsuited to a cash strapped MoD with a defence industry that thinks spare parts are something to hold in the repair loop for as long as possible.

So far, I have fully engaged in every event I have been to, and they always illuminate a better process or delivery method; unfortunately we just don't have the wherewithal to apply it.

Si