PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sydney precinct review????
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2007, 16:12
Bolty McBolt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Annulus filler...

Sure there is a lot less of the rest of the guys to maintain the ageing international fleet but this should make no difference to the way YOU work. You can only do 12 hours of work on a 12 hour shift. No different to the way YOU worked
You are quite correct, no matter how may people are assigned to do the work, one person can only achieve so much in a given time frame.
But we have now been described as a Legacy
"Something handed down from an ancestor or a predecessor or from the past"
So now because I am not in a composite crew (something I have no problem with) I am no longer efficient even thou I have completed maximum constructive man hours in a shift. Plus our effectivity is reduced due to shortage of manpower to complete the alotted tasks in a given ground time. Surely being efficient is constructive use of manpower. Something easily achieved with good communication and quality supervision.
A cynic may argue this is a form of white anting to prove one way doesn't work versus a genius idea newly introduced. Perhaps we should ask the poor fellows of engine line of old what happened to them. EOC once built engines the manufactures would visit to learn how it was achieved but now it is a totally different product produced. The current dream team we have now presided over the metamorphosis of EOC.

As far as the maths goes. There are 50 odd guys on the Airbus crew looking after 13 (soon to be 14) aircraft. If the basic division is done this looks great on paper until you realise the A330 7/10 day and A checks are split between SYD and MEL. Which means the figures are a little less efficient on the Bus crews than Base maint looking after 63 ageing ****ters of which over half have over 50,000 hours.

The Bus crews are doing a good job. Hold items list have shortened dramatically since their creation but is it enough of a leap in efficiency to call every work practice before it a legacy........