PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2007, 10:53
robroy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gold Fish Club

Firstly, I've been a ppruner for nearly 6 years and in the last few days I have sooo many PM's and not being used to this my replies have been a bit slack, SORRY.

re the " GOLD FISH CLUB ", to be a member, one has to be a Naval Aviator and have been " RUN OVER ", by your Aircraft Carrier.

eg, My friend had a weak launch, due to some problem with the catapult, tried to power out of the prob. to no avail.

In the video, ( launches and captures are recorded ) you can see him trying to eject. The ejector seat for some reason, did not operate, SPLASH, couldn't get out in time, Skyhawk sinking, Carrier approaching, getting awful dark, noise of propellors getting LOUDER, gets rid of canopy and being on oxygen, sits tight until the light returned and the prop. noise was decreasing, then abandoned said Skyhawk for the surface.

In the video he hits the surface thrashing like a heavyweight, the rescue chopper was close and two gutsy guys jumped from the chopper to help him.

I say " Gutsy ", for two reasons, one, is obvious, the second was, they had to try to " Control " him. Anyway, back on board, straight to the sick bay and administered several Whiskys, for medicinal purposes, of course.

Up until about 1988, I think and I will stand, corrected, about 10 members of the Club, but one Gentleman from the Royal Navy ended up in an Institution, after it happened to him a second time. I " Tips me Lid " to that Brave Guy.

To me, I salute all Naval Aviators.

I remember a film with a time warp, involving a US Carrier, about Pearl Harbour . The Star of the film was either, Robert Mitcham or Kirk Douglas, and in a TV interview, he said he was taken for a ride off the " Worlds Largest Carrier ", in a two seater jet. However on final approach back to the carrier, he said he was convinced it was the, " Worlds SMALLEST Carrier ".

Makes you wonder how " Gutsy " our guys were operating off , HMAS Sydney and Melbourne.

Cheers,

robroy

Last edited by robroy; 4th Mar 2007 at 12:51.