PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC-225 orders hot up
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2007, 08:25
HeliComparator

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
Blackhawk
Its interesting to have a different take on things. From where I am standing, the S92 was outselling the 225 in part because the 92 was much cheaper (even more so with the weak dollar) and available whereas the 225 was expensive and not available (but worth the wait though!). Perhaps things have changed a bit with delivery schedules but there is still nearly a 2 yr wait for a 225. Not sure what the wait for the 92 is but in the past Sikorsky were tending to manufacture aircraft without actually having buyers whereas EC would only manufacture to order, so the lead time on a 92 was much less.
You view on the maintenance angle is interesting and not one I am really qualified to comment on, but shortly we will be operating both types so a direct comparison will be easier. Based on what we have learned from the experience of others, our maintenance guys are expecting to have to put in a lot more maintenance hours per flight hour on the 92 than they have on the 225. Only time will tell if that's correct.
You say that the 92 is at the start of a new design whilst the 225 is at the end of an old one. From the point of view of the airframe that's true, but the dynamic components on the 92 are very old fashioned - you have only got to look at the rotor head to see the similarity with the S61. The Eurocopter offering is in a different league in terms of "modern-ness". Similarly the 92 gearbox is Black Hawk, the engines are even older than the makila, cockpit philosophy is 1970s with bolt-on screens.
There will surely be a 92b and c as there is plenty of scope to improve things and I think you may be right that the product has a longer life expectancy than the super puma family. Hopefully while Sik are producing the 92C++, EC will have moved on to greater things.

By the way Mr 212man, now that you have started to operate your new toys would you care to let us know how its getting on?

HC