PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BAConnect & Flybe
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2007, 07:59
oldflyboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So BA are considered 'lo cost' then??

Emma B,

Bit of a worry is my reaction to your post, as BA have had trousers for a couple of years, since the introduction of the Julian McDonald uniform. The more I find out about the company I am now joining the more anxious I become.

I don't think it's because our customers associate trousers with lo cost, I believe it's simply an old fashioned view of cabin crew as ,and I REALLY hate this phrase, 'trolley dollies'. Perhaps its a reality when you have male pilots in senior management roles. They like to see the girlies legs!! Another example of the differences between BACON and Flybe, which I really hope we can change.

I know this may get some reaction from flybe pilots, but having positioned on several flybe flights over the last year, I have yet to hear a Captain introduce his crew other than "My cabin crew are Jo and Sally", not Jo Brown and Sally White. Yes I know our pilots sometimes fall into the same trap, but the majority at least give the purser recognition and respect by using their surnames.

A clear example of this is the attitude to name badges. BA prefer that the in charge crew members introduce themselves using surnames and to encourage the recognition, they have them on their name badges. eg: 'Purser Jane Bloggs'

'Senior Crew Member Jane' is all flybe have, Talk about Lo Cost! I was speaking to one of our PM's the other day and was told even they don't have their rank recognised in a badge, so simply have something like the above!

Our nice and longest serving PM is leaving us mid march, I really must ask him what he thinks about that.

Still, let's hope we can all learn from each other as the months go by.

And incidentally if you read PPrune IM, we will all miss you, you are a super bloke!

PS: sorry if this has turned into a minor rant, but believe me folks, it's minor compared to the stuff on the pilots thread, sounds like us cabin crew will all have to go on a charm offensive to ease the transition !! However if all they had to worry about was name badges and trousers, I'm sure they would all be happier!!

PPS: If senior Flybe cabin crew managment read this, perhaps you can sort the trouser situation in the new uniform when it comes??