PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying Europe to Lybia / Tunisia / Algeria
Old 4th Mar 2007, 01:14
LH2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What I've heard from my local airport's operations staff is that to go to Algeria all you need to do is file a flight plan 24 hours in advance and, if it does not get rejected, you're good to go (of course what happens there when you arrive is an entirely different matter). I'll try to dig a bit further and see if I can get hold of anyone who has actually been there on a GA flight.
FromAbove: would you happen to have an e-mail address for the company who used to fly you about or, better yet, for the pilots themselves? They might come in handy to sort out permissions etc., might even be able to process desert passes.
Let me know if you get someone interested and/or can arrange for another plane (remember it will likely need additional insurance coverage, etc.) Timing is a bit tight for us also, but late April is what we're aiming for.

Forgot to add, we did file a flight plan a few days ago, VFR from Palma to Algiers, C172, and it did not get bounced back. I got wrong the airport identifier for Algiers and the bloke from Palma called the airport where I did the flight plan telling us he had corrected that and it had been accepted. The next day they advised us our flight plan had expired (since we obviously did not depart), but it had remained in the system until then with no objection from either the Europeans or the Algerians.

That's why I said the problem does not seem to be getting there, but what happens next.

Last edited by LH2; 4th Mar 2007 at 01:24. Reason: Additional info