PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BBC investigation into fatigue, working culture & safety standards
Old 3rd Mar 2007, 18:21
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
Pax speaking. I think that Wig Wag says it all. I have seen exactly that kind of behaviour from management but I have had the good fortune to work in telecommunications and when the system ground to a halt - it was still sitting comfortably on the floor of the equipment room. It is rather easier to fix something when you can stop for a cup of tea ...

In general commerce, I have seen management (both IT and general) move from a stance of:
Let us prevent problems occuring. Let us maintain equipment and train staff so that our operation runs smoothly.
To one that is harsh and unforgiving and short sighted:
Let us cut back on routine maintenance to save money and just fix things when they break. It is cheaper to apologise to the customer and give them a voucher.
Perhaps this sounds familiar to those in the airlines?

In the past 20 years I have seen several examples of UK management allowing safety to slide until it actually falls. Here are two prominent ones where, after the event, it came to light that brave staff had spoken up and warned the company that they were, to use an old fashioned nautical term, "Standing into danger".
Herald of Free Enterprise. Ro-Ro ferry 6th March 1987. Dead: 193
Kings Cross Tube fire. 18th November 1987. Dead: 31

Having followed this debate from the outset (and having a nephew who is a commercial pilot outside of the UK) I have long since come to the conclusion that UK and Irish airline business' are, Standing into danger. I expect a hull loss sooner not later.