PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Argonaut/North Star Memories and Observations
Old 3rd Mar 2007, 18:16
tarrant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Argonauts and North Stars

I well remember the Argonaut and North Stars that Overseas Aviation operated. For a short while before they went bust I worked for them at Gatwick. What an airline! talk about a shoe string operation. Friday afternoon was engine change time. The aircraft going the furthest had to have the engines with the most flying hours left on it. So various aircraft were pulled up and engines changed.
If Ronald Myhill the Chairman had got his head screwed on correctly then the possibility of the airline continuing and going places could have been assured. He could'nt even present accounts of the company to the creditors at their meeting after the airline had gone bust. His answer, and I quote, "it was due to shortage of staff and lack of time".
However the arrival of the North Stars were a sight to be seen a bit like a bomber sqd. returning from an operation.
North Stars littered the taxiway outside the Overseas hangar, of course along with the Vickers Vikings plus a few Herons.