PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best "simple" tape backup software
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2007, 13:18
Keef

Official PPRuNe Chaplain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it depends very much on what you are backing up.

Years ago, using Seagate Backup Exec (or whatever it was called), I went through the whole palaver with a cupboard full of tapes and a rota for which one got used and how long it was kept for. That took me ten minutes a day, and I felt comfortable. It was quite expensive for the hardware and tapes.

Then I had a HD crash, and found that the backup tape wouldn't restore the operating system in "usable" format anyway, so I had to reinstall all the software. I did, however, recover my personal data from the tapes.

So I stopped backing up the whole system, and just backed up my data files. That was fine, but still a mass of tapes. For the amount of data backed up, it was a sledgehammer to crack a nut, and a lot of effort.

When I bought my last-but-one PC, I consigned the previous PC to be a fileserver, with automatic backup of my data files over the LAN. That's a lot less effort (in fact, none, because it's automatic).

The tape drive is in the bottom of a drawer somewhere, together with some tapes. I've been giving away DAT tape cassettes for ages...

Really important stuff gets backed up again, onto a USB hard drive.

And since I started using HD to back up ... I haven't once needed to restore anything.