PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A.C. Generators
Thread: A.C. Generators
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2007, 10:28
MaxHelixAngle

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
A.C. Generators

Could someone please explain the difference between series and shunt wound generators and how this applies as the load on the system is increased.
Also I am a very confused as to how the voltage regulator works in the first place, as I understand it when the load is increased if nothing is done the system voltage will drop, so the voltage regulator supplies more current to the generator field which increases the magnetic flux and therefore the voltage. But as I understand it the output voltage of the generator is only affected by changing the rate of change of magnetic flux through the armature, so should only be affected by changes in RPM and magnetic field strength and if the RPM must be constant so the system Hertz can remain the same then why would the voltage change as system load increases??????
In short my question is for both a series and shunt wound generator what happens when the load increases so that voltage and cycles remains unchanged?
I realize this is a very large topic but if anyone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.
Regards,
MHA