PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VISION THREAD (other than colour vision)
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2007, 23:43
Owenrules

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,
Just new to your forum, I too unfortunately suffer from CVD (well apparently). My situation I think is somewhat similar to every last one of you, I can see great from day to day, I can tell the difference between all colors but when someone places those damn plates in front of me I seem to hit a brick wall.

On the contrary, unlike most of you guys I'm not yet a pilot by any standards (unless you count all the Flight Simulators). I have wanted to fly commercially all my life and was told from an early age that I couldn't, but from reading all 16 or so pages of this thread I have been given a small glimpse of hope.

I have always hoped I could sign myself up for the integrated approach to become a First Officer however even after reading most of the posts I am slightly miffed.

I have a question..... If I for example traveled abroad to Germany or the likes to obtain my Class 1 medical and got it converted if I may to the correct kind for the UK how long is it valid for? If I were to fork out 80K on an integrated approach, became a First Officer, what is stopping me from failing a retest whenever it arises later in my career? And in turn loosing my license? An apology if this has been asked before but I must have glanced over it.

Furthermore, regarding the legal action being discussed. I have some knowledge of the law and the way the courts work as I have currently rounded up an LLB and am currently a trainee solicitor. From what I gather forking out 250k for legal action is extremely risky. I cant for see the courts holding a sympathetic view towards us. I understand that the CAA is acting unfairly in terms of CVD pilots and students however the courts would more than likely make a policy decision in our case rather than a justifiable one. This happens only too often, the judges could make a decision for what they believe and then reason back wards. There would be a higher chance of sucess if the case went to Strasbourg, if it were possible to find a law firm with sufficient interest and confidence in sucess then were talking action!
In addition the CAA is definitely not worthy of a judicial review, nor would one ever be granted due to the CVD tests it supports.