PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Joining help....
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2007, 21:56
Irish Tempest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,
I initially went for a Sixth form scholarship and Flying Scholarship with crab air (remember Wg Cdr Massey anyone?). Anyway because I had put down Photographic Interpreter as my 3rd branch choice (cunningly now renamed Intelligence Officer (same job but sexier title to improve recruitment)) I had a bit more of an exacting eyesight test at Biggin. They found an issue of some sort and I was sent to Central Medical Establishment, kelvin House in London to be seen by an Air Cdre in charge of eyesight...
Anyway long story cut relatively short - he failed me outright for any form of aircrew. I was a little shocked and rather of to say the least. I went home saw a eye surgeon who tested me (cost a few quid), he found no problems with my eyes wrote back to the President of the board at Biggin I was then called forward to see Air Cdre ####### again who subsequently passed me fully fit for any aircrew role... humble pie was given from one spotty 16 year old to one Air Cdre. In hindsight I wonder just how many other up decisions this had made in his career and screwed up other wannabees.

I eventually made the right choice and joined the senior Service and am currently doing a common appointment in charge of a recruiting region in the UK for the RN - and now deal with this sort of problem routinely.

If you have any doubts or belief in yourself please do get an independent report. About 50% of reviews are upheld.

Regards