PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EAST MIDLANDS - 4
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2007, 12:39
cozzy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EMA Impressions

Having passed thru EMA yesterday on way to AMS with BMIb, thought I would share my impressions re: terminal development - I last used the airport in December and I'm impressed by the amount of development that has taken place in a relatively short time.

Check - In - notice AirTrans is up and running in their new permanent home, but with considerably less square footage... me thinks some cut price sales on the way to clear stock...

Check in to Security - despite the white hoardings the development doesn't present any inconvenience - however the "shiny" floor tiles covering part of this area seem an accident waiting to happen, hope the EMA owners have up to date litigation insurance, someone is going to go proverbial over the other proverbial this year, I'm sure. New retail units look the part.

Security - obviously enlarged now and so much for the better. No queue but hey, it's only winter. Mind you EMA not the only a/p to have security delays, try AMS area H on a Thursday evening - ridiculous.

The main departure lounge is becoming very impressive, the new stairs providing much better access to the first floor, however I think there might be a danger of that whole area passing most people by, unless there's a significant attraction added on - maybe this is in the pipeline given the WIP on a mezzanine near the bottom of the old stairs.

The retail units / bars / eating outlets are of a quality that befits any airport and certainly helps shed any "little old EMA" image. The duty frees are 10 x better than when I flew thru here nearly 50 times in 2001 / 2 whilst on a project in Dublin.

Only "blot" now seems to be Gate 1 to 5 area, looking tired - this seems to be an anomaly in itself now, given that it's not exclusively for UK / Belfast / ROI seeing as baby use it for the AMS flight. Wonder if it will get a facelift as well as the rest of the terminal?

Finally, immigration seems to have extra desks now (or am I imagining it) though can't wait until I'm one of the throng coming off the FCA 767 from Sanford in August (not). Baggage reclaim a bit sluggish but again can't help thinking this area will become overwhelmed when 250 plus holidaymakers fight to get their baggage.

Will no doubt use EMA before August and if so, happy to report again. PS for benefit of bmibaby employees on this thread, once again a pretty faultless service overall.