PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Piper Super Cub : Whats it like?
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2007, 20:53
QDMQDMQDM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Browsing the web a bit I've concluded that I didn't know anything about Super Cub history! It seems that even in 1949 it was offered with an electrical starter, flaps and a 115hp engine.
Hi WR,

Yes, and I think the standard 150hp version was first offered in 1951 or thereabouts.

edited to say that the way I think of it, the Supercub has a cowled engine, whereas the Cub does not. I'm sure someone will show me the error of my ways...
Superficially, yes, but in reality they are completely different aircraft apart from their common heritage and the aerofoil, which I understand dates back to the 20s.

I thought the Super Cub was 150 hp with electric start and flaps,and the Cub has 65 hp hand start,or 90hp electric start but no flaps on either model.
Is this wrong?
Yes, it is wrong.The Super Cubs start at 90HP with no electrical system or flaps and go up. Some cubs have 90HP engines, but they remain cubs.

Isn't the C90 engine'd Supercub an L18-C, which is the military designation?
The military 90HP Super Cub is the L18, except when it is the French civilianised version, when it becomes the PA19. The civilian 90HP Super Cub is the PA18-90.

They're all great to fly. Many people swear by the 90HP and it is very economical, but it lacks the grunt to get you out of anywhere really short and you really feel the difference above 5,000 feet.

Some say that Super Cubs don't need flaps and that that is another reason why the 90HP version is better, but that isn't true. The 90HP Super Cub is a lot lighter than the larger versions and it's true it doesn't really need flaps. The larger versions are much heavier and they do need flaps. They make an enormous difference and are very effective for both lift and drag. And slipping with full flap in the 150HP version is quite an experience.

QDM