PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best "simple" tape backup software
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2007, 17:26
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best "simple" tape backup software

I have been running DDS1/2/3/4 drives for about 12 years, on a win2000/NT4/XP network (workgroup) using Seagate Backup Exec v6.11 all that time. It works fine, despite the program being clumsy in various ways, so why change? The only problem was that BE6 could not backup many open files under win2000 (it did fine with NT4).

With storage need going up I have moved to a Quantum DLT-V4 drive and
the Sony 80GB-320GB tapes.

BE6 doesn't seem to work with this tape drive; it doesn't recognise it.

So I fished out a later version, Veritas Backup Exec v10 which I bought a while ago but never got around to using. This works OK but

(a) is a monstrously complicated program, with 100x more features than
I can use or understand, services all over the place...

(b) while it runs under a bare win2000 install it fails to run under the main one, due to the server service not starting. I see half of google is taken up with this very subject so I am not alone, but I see no obvious fix for it. It's obviously being caused by some other application etc which the bare win2k install doesn't have.

Question: is there another backup app, which is OK for a simple backup (including the win2k/XP O/S open files which even BE6 would not back up) and is more robust?

Ideally, it would be tape format compatible with BE6/BE10 but that may
be asking too much since I usually choose "software compression" over
"hardware compression". Anyway, I will always keep a means to read old
tapes, via a machine on the LAN somewhere...

A quick look reveals loads of backup programs of obviously varying quality, with Nova Backup looking highly recommended.

Any comments?

I always do a straight "file copy" backup, and manage the media hierarchy myself.