PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Working in Europe?
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2007, 09:35
Luke SkyToddler

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Mate you are kidding yourself if you think $32000 Aus dollars will go very far up here, it won't even get you the half - probably not even a THIRD of what you need to be employable up here.

Think about it : remember you've got to do all 14 JAR ATPL subjects (£3000) the single engine CPL (£2000) the IR conversion (Between £5000 and £10000 depending on where you train, how quickly you get your head round UK IFR operations, how many training delays / bad weather delays you get and how many resits you end up doing - bearing in mind that well under half the candidates pass first time ) Cost of conversion 'could' be as high as £15000 - plus living expenses up here for at least 6 months at, say, £1000 a month. Then you say you want a jet rating, which will cost you a further £20 - 25000. Plus another 2 or 3 months living expenses.

Work all that out and I'd say you'd be a fool to rock up here with less than $AUS50,000 in your back pocket just for the CPL/IR conversion, and $100,000 if you are serious about buying the jet rating.

And after all that where have you found yourself - sitting around competing with all the other 200 hour wonders in your same position, trying to stay alive financially and pay the interest on all that money by working in some London pub for a fiver an hour while you send out all those CVs and wait for the phone to call? Those are haaarrrddd times brother, trust me I know because I've been there, and I did it with a lot more hours than you!

The good times are indeed rolling up here in Europe for people with decent multi turbine experience but there are just as many unemployed low timers up here as anywhere else.

If you are fresh out of flying school and you have an offer of a multi turbine job - anywhere in the world, let alone in Oz - then for christs sake grab hold of it with both hands and never ever ever let it go. It's a different story once you've got a full ATPL and 1000 hours on a useful multi turbine type, come up to the UK at that stage and you will indeed find yourself on the gravy train