PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying jobs in Scotland
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2007, 23:37
Luke SkyToddler

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
While it's true that Scottish operators like to employ Scottish people where possible, I don't think a single one of them gives a monkeys about where you trained (luckily for you - because Tayflite is a disorganized rip off IMHO), however if truth be known there's sod all opportunities for 200 hour types to get airline jobs in Scotland.

If you don't mind throwing some obscene and foolish sums of money at a nasty buy a type rating / pay for line training / no guarantee of a job at the end kind of a scheme, then I guess Logan are your boys - but why anyone would want to spend £20 grand on a Saab rating when they could practically have a B737 or A320 for the same money beats me. Scotairways and Highland love to hire local FI's but realistically they'll always hire someone from elsewhere if they've got 1000 hours and the other guy hasn't. BMI Regional, Globespan and the jet operators in general are not really first-job material and very tough nuts to crack unless jet type rated and experienced and/or shed loads of hours on turboprops (although there was some link up between OATS and BMI Regional at one stage I'm not sure if that's still ongoing).

If you must must must train / live / work in Scotland then I'd recommend doing the CPL and FI thing with Tayside Aviation, it's a tried and tested way into the airlines that has worked for hundreds of people over the years (although when the time comes I'd still rather take a few weeks away and do my IR at a proper flying school down south somewhere).