PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Etisalat, Skype, UAE telecom issues
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2006, 03:13
ExSimGuy

Sims Fly Virtually

Location: Used to be 3rd Sand Dune from the Left - But now I'm somewhere else somewhere else.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by Kpt40
Do you guys use any Satelite(sp?) internet server like Direcway.
Nobody else here talking about satellite, but yes, as I mentioned earlier, I'm using a sat.

"Direc" used to be out here but they were "phone up, sat down". Don't know if they are still around as I did a search a while ago and couldn't find them, or anything competitive with Orbit's pricing. The Orbit Satnet system is the one that seems to be most easily available and reasonably (for here) priced. Don't know about the other countries but it's available in Saudi, and at the moment there's no more modems available from the local distributor and I know peeps are going over to Bahrain where it's sold as well.

Their published speed is 256 down, 128 up - BUT - although testing here shows the 256 is rock solid, but the uplink is around 20 to 30k, which is useless for VoIP (and a pain for maintaining the company internet site too!)

Cost works out around US$600 for 6 months. There is also a package with higher "claimed" uplink (512/512), but that's about twice the price.

If I want to use Skype, I have to do it from the office, where we have a decent speed "conventional" phone - and no, it's not blocked here.

Has anyone tried an "internet accellerator"?? These are the guys who claim to "boost your speed up to 10 times" on a phone line. One of the side-effects of this is that the web site address is "tunnelled" so the blocking software doesn't see it. The ones I have seen cost around US$50 a year, and would certainly allow you to getonto the callserve web site if that's the problem. And they DO make a big improvement in download times for web pages and text (email), not so good for executable file download or zip files.