PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrods grounded rumour
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2007, 17:51
Padraig Murphy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AAR Fuel Lines

As an ex-Norman linney can someone help in answering the questions below?

The original AAR fuel lines fit carried out by RAF others like myself during and after the Falklands were originally above the floor leading down from the aircrew escape hatch in the cockpit to the centre of the aircraft around the galley area, as a young FLM I had to inspect these lines every AF, BF & TR for dents, perishing etc. I also had to carry out a nitrogen purge on a regular basis to ensure lines where clear of fuel and vapour, a task that is also required to be carried out after each AAR by the flight engineer.

Q1. BWoS got the contract to hide those fuel lines (damage prevention and ascetics), below the floor however the inspection task was not carried out until the next primary, minor servicing etc i.e. not on a daily basis, is this potentially an error in design in that it made it near impossible for any linney to detect or inspect the fuel lines? Is the BWoS design potentially deficient?

Q2. Don't BWoS have the current maintenance contract for the Norman fleet? Jobs originally done by qualified linney's going to aircraft builders not knowledgeable on operational constraints. Or doing it for £'s rather than heart, sad state of our services today!

Q3. As MRA4 is effectively the same structure as the MR2P or R1 what are the chances that the same design with the same issues is being utilised for the MRA4?

As an ex BWoS employee the number of times I've heard "if it ain't broke don't fix it" would suggest to me the last question above is probably going to be answered "YES", as nothing changes.

Tappers Dad I really feel for your loss and all those who have lost love ones on the most recent tragedy and the other aircraft over the years. I still have a relation still flying on these old but reliable jets every time something else happens I worry for him and his family. I really do hope they get to the truth but past experience tells me they'll try to hide it or brush it under the carpet because of operational security or “in the best interests of the country”, I hope I'm wrong!