PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R22 Corner
Thread: R22 Corner
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2007, 16:15
Head Turner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am troubled that such a simple aircraft has so many doubtful conditions that this thread has ballooned into a huge treasure of information.
Firstly, I am not a great fan of the R22 for I see in it's design that it was superbly engineered for 'private transport', for the private owner to use for pleasure or his private work. However, training organisations have it on their inventory and believe that it is agood training machine. I beg to differ and I will now duck down behind the bomb proof wall and watch the bullets fly. The R44 is a very different beast and the rumour that R22 production could cease in favour of more R44's sounds good to me.

Secondly, as far as the instructors ability to train a student will very much depend, not on finite lying skills but on the experience and depth of knowledge that an instructor should have before taking up instructing. This then would ensure that if confidence in the airworthyness of the helicopter is required then it is the ability of the instructor to demonstrate the safety aspects in such a manner that the student 'learns' the correct techniques and procedures which will ensure safety at all stages of flight.

Finally, some of the previous comments above cause me concern that there are some instructors lacking certain teaching skills. And to this end not providing the very best for the student under their guidance. I am ducking down behind that wall again as I know there are some factions who are out there instructing who are ardent that the R22 is the best training machine and their minds will never accept the fact that there are better machines out there which have a proven record as trainers. These instructors perhaps do not have that depth of knowledge pertinent to their employ.