PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Low fuel situation handled poorly by DFW ATC
Old 27th Feb 2007, 07:48
Spodman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The skipper of a bloody great aeroplane full of people tells atc that he has a fuel problem and needs to land on the nearest runway... M word or not...
Have just listened to the tape of what was actually said on AVWEB:

http://www.avweb.com/podcast/files/2007-02-26.mp3

(you have to register) and disagree with most comments so far.
The pilot indicates he has an emergency and requires 17C, without actually using the right words. By not using the right words they leave it to the guys on the ground to figure out how serious their situation actually is. I would have to know more about the position of the aircraft relative to the required runway, and to any alternative airports, to guage the approach dudes reply. He says, "Can I suggest a closer airport if you're that low?" To me this indicates there are alternatives and if the flight really has a problem the pilot can go elsewhere for a more expeditious arrival. If the situation is not urgent enough to require a diversion then the approach guy doesn't think it is urgent enough to fark up his sequence to help some spud that can't make up his mind whether to take his own emergency seriously or not.

It is mere speculation to imagine what the same ATC would have done if the flight had called MAYDAY and if there was a more formal exchange between the Center and Approach.

I would pay no attention to the assurances of Ronald Earwig, sounds like butter-em-up PR drool to me.
That should have been end of story, with the crew getting exactly what they asked for.
No, they should get what they NEED.