PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Low fuel situation handled poorly by DFW ATC
Old 27th Feb 2007, 06:09
JustAnothrWindScreen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The crew did declare an emergency to the center controller and requested landing 17C with a fuel problem. The center controller did relay the emergency to the approach controller and stated they wanted 17C. That should have been end of story, with the crew getting exactly what they asked for.

When the ATC approach controller simply refused to do what the crew asked, in my opinion the crew should have simply stated what they were going to do and do it.

It is becoming more evident in flying the skies of the good old USA that a lot of ATC folks actually think they are in charge of the aircraft and the safety thereof. It is an arrogance that should have been stopped years ago, but in this instance it is glaringly evident. Our government ATC folks are not in charge of the aircraft, but they are required to assist in anything the crew asks for especially when they have declared an emergency. A whole new mindset needs to be imparted to the government ATC controllers that they are there to help the air crews and not vice versa. If you listen to the tape of the exchange between the approach controller and the aircrew, I think you will see what I mean. Everything is bassacwards.