PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tough choice???
Thread: Tough choice???
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2007, 04:58
HeavyWrenchFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have those two choices right now, and I just can't bring myself to take the job where it will take approximately 4 years to make what the other pays in the first year, no medical ins. for 6 months, over the one that also includes a 7% raise annually plus an additional 15.5% of base pay as retirement... and to top it all one is extremely unstable and unpredictable with no cushion margin as opposed to the other which is at the other extreme of the scale. The US airline industry will certainly enter a spiral far worse than the one after 9/11 if any terrorism event were to happen, and ALL of these new jobs will be furloughed and then some in that case in short order. And that's quite a possibility since we are relying on a security system designed and run by a bunch of two bit morons from the top to bottom.

Don't get me wrong, I've worked for Continental and United for a total of 12yrs as an AMT and both of these airlines have considerable sentimental value for me to this day and I have many many friends that still work there as pilots as well. But if you think you will be anywhere close to happy, respected or regarded at any of the real pax majors in the US (United, American, Delta, Continental) you will be in for a rude shock when you get there as many of the ones I know who work for them will warn you. Nearly all of the US pax carriers treat their employees like sh!t to put it mildly. The absolute lack of respect and regard in every aspect is outragous. There are few exeptions such as FEDEX, UPS, SWA.

I have to agree with the previous post regarding FEDEX & UPS yes but otherwise they don't compare no matter how I look at it.

Remember that we are far worse off now in terms of financial health, and it will all go down the tube a lot faster than the last time! And then ask yourself... Where would you rather be in a few years from now when... not if, but when the next pile of sh!t hits the fan in the US either in the form of a terrorit attack, economic down turn or another war??? NOBODY has the financial cushion they had back in 2001, not the airlines not the government. Bankruptcies and furloughs in the thousands will come in a matter of months this time.

I'd rather work for a non-US airline, not wholly depandant on this market and with a huge cash cushion to ride it out.

If I'm wrong, please tell me all about it.