PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tough choice???
Thread: Tough choice???
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2007, 17:13
hog tied

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, brother, I hate to disagree. EVERYONE complains about their work... it is after all a four letter word. There will ALWAYS be aspects to hate and whine about. The management will ALWAYS look to maximize profits, and this will frequently oppose a pilot's welfare in the form of pay and bennies. These are universals true to ALL airline jobs.

I will say one last time: the aircraft, pay, schedules, and opportunities at CX are great. But they look artificially greater when viewed from the eyes of those already working at a major in the US. This is because the paradigm with which they are viewed is completely different than that which will be assumed once you leave the good old USA. There is no schedule bidding system. Do not underestimate the the value of choosing when you work, and when you are off (I know seniority dictates this, but I am talking an entire career with very little control over your life). The biggest disparity comes when you actually experiece the culture. At CX, you will never truly leave your work at the door. There is an air of intimidation not just from management, but within from the training system as well. Biases in many forms exist, and this is considered normal. You CAN NOT (pun intended) assign a dollar value to this, it is as they say "PRICELESS". To put it more accurately, the cost is infinite.

Is CX a good job? Yep. If given the choice between it and a good US major (even a pax airline!), take the latter.

Last edited by hog tied; 26th Feb 2007 at 17:30.