PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA's worrying RT trend!
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2001, 02:22
form49

Thumbs down

As an ATCO at a reasonably busy airport, I like to hear "rolling" when I've cleared someone for an immediate take off, granted, this should be preceded by "cleared for take off", but it's nice to know that you boys and girls are on the ball and know that the gap is tight and we need you to react immediately. The fact that you are still stationary is irrelevant, you're just putting on the power (aren't you!!!)
Im a great believer in the use of standard phraseology, it's there for a reason. What really annoys me is crews not reading back instructions that require a mandatory readback, the main one being the QNH, the amount of RT time wasted on getting a readback of a simple instruction which requires a MANDATORY readback is becoming ridivulous, this is from UK and foreign crews alike and unfortunately it seems to be becoming more common.
Incorrect altimeter settings are responsible for a great deal of incidents, we've all seen the level bust posters and read the airprox reports, a correct readback would greatly reduce these incidents.
Perhaps pilots should spend some time in a tower or centre and see what we deal with and just how difficult our job can be made by lack of reaback!

You are all welcome to visit the airport towers and the centres, maybe you should!!

Right that's me off my soapbox

Safe and happy flying to you all