PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turbo Time?
Thread: Turbo Time?
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2007, 09:15
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You need to differentiate between the minimums in the add and what the average successful applicant has in the logbooks.

The average airline interviewee probably has more like 2500 hrs with 1500+ ME command...at a guess....many would have double that.

As far as the worth of putting down your money for a Turbine endorsement?

If it is a ME turbine for a reputable operator where you can progress to the LHS in the fullness of time, assuming required standards met/exceeded, then maybe. I struggle to think of an operation in Australian GA that would/could do that without you having 500 ME command first so you probably are being used...suckered into parting with hard earned money to subsidise the operator.

You must realise that, within the Australian context, there are few if any realistic shortcuts. At 240TT you are barely employable period let alone in a turbine sense.

Rejoice though as you have become licenced at a very excellent time...if you can fly as well as you think you can there ARE jobs out there on singles where you can progress onto a piston twin within 12 mths or so. I know of more than one newly minted CPL who has scored a job flying 210s/Bonanzas with the ink still drying on the licence and finding themselves gracing the LHS of a Baron 6 mths/300-400 hrs later.

My advice is to hang on to your dough, take a deep breath and find a job in keeping with your experience level. When you have a job and are clocking up the hours VFR and nearing a twin spend the money you would have wasted on this turbine endo on a MECIR. As soon as you are flying twins consistantly start applying to every reputable airline in Australia.