PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you recommend a career in the military
Old 25th Feb 2007, 21:55
Rob's Dad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and back to the thread

(not that the diversion wasn't amusing)

Joe

I'm in the process of leaving at my 16/38 point. Would I do it all again? Damn right. The RAF is a vocation and you sound as motivated as most of us once were about Service life: you would get such a wide range of experiences and responsibiliy that when you talk to your civvy friends in 4 or 5 years time you will wonder how the hell they get themselves out of bed in the morning.

So why then do you read all the negativity? Don't mean to be patronising but when I joined up I was probably like you are - full of fire and ready to change the world: I could not have given 2-hoots about how long I was on Det, whether or not my family got free dental treatment, how many secondary duties I had to do, or even what the pension was. The bitter 'old' scapers should, I recall thinking, accept the world had changed and get out so us young guns could continue to drive it forward. Sadly though the frantic pace of life which I found exciting when younger became a sapping bind of constant change as I get older. For me, I noticed that when I had a family to consider then I suddenly did care whether I did not see them for weeks and months on end, I did care when they are bottom of the local NHS Dental waiting list for the worst dentist in the area, I did care that my time at home was being spent running clubs and societies for others to enjoy while I was away, and I really did care about my pension.

Slowly but surely, I found was in danger of become the bitter old dinosaur I used to bitch about. I had reached a crossroads when I could either continue to believe that while the emperor is not entirely clothed he is worth accepting for all the great things he brings me (job stability, pension, decent salary, taking a morning off to see my kid in the school nativity play, like minded colleagues and neighbours, leaving my car/house unlocked behind the wire, etc etc) or I could note he was start b*llock naked and would never again respect him the way I used to. I suspect it always was this way and that many people reach a point of weariness circa the 12 year option point when they either persevere onwards or decide enough is enough - which is probably why there are option points.

Fortunately each new generation has within it a group of fit, motivated and capable people who will always be attracted to military life. Seems to me you are at a crossroads now: follow your heart or always think 'what if'.

Good luck

RD