PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you recommend a career in the military
Old 25th Feb 2007, 15:29
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Well without wishing to be a killjoy, I would have to say no I wouldn't recommend it these days.

I joined up almost 10 years ago, and like you, I lay awake the days before I went to IOT wondering if I was doing the right thing. I came to the conclusion that Ithis was something I had always wanted to do and so would regret it later on in life if I didn't and put it down to pre-IOT nerves.

But now, all I can see is the best aspects of military life being slowly eroded and replaced by the accountants and various civilian organizations that are gradually creeping into the armed forces sphere of influence. I can't see much in the way of leadership - their Airships are being strangely quiet whilst the army and navy are becoming increasingly vocal about the conditions we are being forced to endure.

Our political masters lie through their teeth - and infuriatingly get away with it every single time - and don't value us one iota. Yes the money is ok (you will never be rich) although taking the levels of responsibility you will have and comparing them with a civilian management/execs with comparable levels (not types) or responsibility, then we are grossly underpaid.However, one thing that you need to remember is that even the biggest chimp in the RAF will shine in civi street. It will give you an incredible springboard to the future, and whilst you may not realise it at the time, the ability to make life and death decisions under the highest levels of pressure imaginable is a quality rarely found in civi street.

The question is, do you think you can see through an ever growing pile of crap to get to the ever shrinking pile of diamonds at the bottom? If so - then the RAF is probably for you. But hand on my heart, given the current state of affairs, no I can't recomment it. But you are young, give it a try, you have nothing to lose and you might just enjoy it as I once did.

Last edited by Melchett01; 25th Feb 2007 at 16:05.