PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you recommend a career in the military
Old 25th Feb 2007, 12:19
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would contest the point about moving every 3 years. This may be true of several branches but it is less so for aircrew.

What bases are open to ME? Once AT you will probably remain AT, etc.

For FJ, once Harrier you would probably remain Harrier etc.

True there are moves induced by stations closing but that is not on the 3-year plot. The 3-year plot really kicks in once you reach sqn ldr and decide to climb the greasy pole - but again that is a whole different ball game.

Effectively the sqn shag stays put if he is hacking it.

To some extent whether you move house is up to you and depends on where you put down routes. On the other hand the younger people might look forward to moving every few years - I did. I then did 3 tours, 2 stations, in one house and 4 tours, 3 stations in another; one of those tours was a double and another extended.

For non-aircrew it seems that station life and a static location are not high on the shopping list. You can Admin in an HQ or Engineer at some agency of other and the work is then very much a job with a station tour just one of many career options.

For Ops Support the ATC and FC will have their little slots with either little incentive to move or no places to move to.

The 'escape' tour is often into the training system but the training system is also a fertile hunting ground for the non-formed unit OOA tours.