PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you recommend a career in the military
Old 25th Feb 2007, 11:38
Rafsux

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Save yourself

I will concede before I start that any views expressed are my opinion, based solely upon my experience.

The RAF these days will have you away from home much more often and for longer than even a few years ago. Unfortunately the destinations are pretty much hot sandy and less than desirable if you get the idea.

As for pay - not too bad to be honest, if it weren't for that I doubt as many would still be in the RAF in fact.

The lack of morale does to agree come from above, if many are honest they will allow that people are continually expected to do more with less and that the trend sees no reversal in the near future.

Obviously up to you, but there are many downsides to consider before you sign up, spend the time to find out what they are, ideally from a few different bases around the UK to get a real feel for the RAF as a whole. The glossy brochures do paint a nice picture, but then they would wouldn't they given that they are recruitment tools.

On balance I regret having joined, so now it's time to look for a better option........

Good luck.