PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you recommend a career in the military
Old 25th Feb 2007, 09:13
joe2812

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would you recommend 'todays' RAF?

Hello again all,

I was hoping if I could ask your opinions on whether or not the RAF of today is still worth joining. As current or ex service-folk I figured it was better to hear it from the horses mouth rather than the glossies and the guys at the AFCO.

The RAF is something i've always wanted to do, a Pilot in particular. Mum and Dad were both in the RAF, grandparents RAF, numerous family friends, god-parents and the like... Some still in but most out by now.

I'm a 20 year old who has just left University part way through the second year of a BEng Aero course. Difficult to explain and I know it doesn't look too good on me to have dropped out (although I prefer 'withdrawn'!) without completing.
Unfortunately I just wasn't enjoying the course and if i'm honest - and it's not nice to admit - my family were struggling to pay to have me there. I came home at Christmas and was just so unhappy at the thought of having to go back I decided not to return.

As it stands i've been working full time since then trying to decide what to do. The RAF was almost certainly my choice after Uni, but my degree put me off flying and the entire Aero industry. I know most will be thinking that I obviously didn't want it badly enough and wouldn't have made the cut had I gone through with it anyway, but i'm thinking i'd still like to go for a Commission, possibly Pilot/Aircrew of some sort but then perhaps something new and different.

My other option was to join the Police as i've been carrying out the duties of a Special Constable down where I was at Uni for a while. I know that coppers are mostly hated but I figured it's an enjoyable job, scope to move away and try lots of different areas of speciality etc.

Anyway, to the point...

I know that the RAF of today isn't the RAF that you joined. Less fun, less money, and more top-heavy than ever. My Dad has said the same, and that if I join now ten years down the line i'll be saying exactly the same.

But in reality, is a Commission in the RAF something you would recommend? Were it your child, is service life in this day and age a option you'd throw into the mix?

Be sure I have my tin hat on for the incoming, and prepared for the "if you have to ask then you don't want to do it badly enough" posts, but would appreciate some honest opinions.

Many thanks

Joe.