PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PCM as done by Virgin Trains - an example for the military?
Old 24th Feb 2007, 16:45
airsound

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
I think Two’s in is being unduly cynical. Branson is just doing what he does best, being a charismatic people-person. One of the reasons his companies are so successful is that he combines that charm and sympathy with outstanding entrepreneurship. I’m in no doubt that the company is reacting to a well-designed plan - but I’m also sure that the plan reflects Sir Richard’s own predilections.

It reminds me of another sad occasion, when one of Sir Michael Bishop’s British Midland 737s crashed on the M1 - with multiple deaths. Bishop was there almost instantly, dispensing help, sympathy, and whatever information he could give. And he kept it up, supporting survivors and relatives of the dead well after the accident.
Yes, you can say that’s just good commercial practice. But not all companies react to disaster with anything like that attitude. When they do, I believe they should be commended. And I also believe that the military could learn much about how to handle disaster from these events - even though there are, of course, significant differences between a company and the MoD.

airsound

edited to remove all mention of rugby score

Last edited by airsound; 25th Feb 2007 at 10:01.