PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying gloves
Thread: Flying gloves
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2007, 13:06
scooter boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the gloves are off (I mean on..)

When I was doing my PPL(H) I took the piss out of my white leather glove wearing instructor mercilessly for looking like a ponse - (he of course retaliated and took the rise out of me principally because of my appauling lack of flying skills).

However, please don't tell anybody but over the last 5 years I have begun to wear them myself to the extent that I feel undressed without them.

My right thumb wears through the gloves every 18 months or so and they last far less long if they get wet or sweaty but I think they do help.

If you can get past the black and white minstrel/snooker umpire image I think they do give you a better feel of the controls - just remember to take them off if there is anyone else around otherwise they may request a rendition of "mammy" or ask for the cue ball to be polished!

Talking of epaulettes and uniforms they do serve a purpose; I am returning to Preveza airport in Greece this summer for the annual familial beach hols. If you happen to be in the terminal there you will be able to spot my (77 year old) dad and I by the glint of our 5 bar gold epaulettes and aviator glasses! From past experience the only way to get past security at that airport is either to have a boarding card and be herded along with the other cattle or to dress like a South American military dictator. Needless to say the Gaddafi garb will come off as soon as we are in the air - it will have served its purpose!
SB