PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - what experience does an airline prefer?
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2007, 09:07
BitMoreRightRudder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WestCoast

Your degree won't make much difference I'm afraid. If you were applying for one of the mentored schemes that look to place their graduates into jets or props then a degree might be of some benefit, but such schemes are aimed at applicants with little or no flying experience. 1500h TT with time on light twins flown as multi-crew may well be useful, but I'm presuming it is on a non-multi pilot aircraft so I don't know how a UK operator would view those hours - bear in mind I don't work in pilot recruitment, I'm just a line pilot.

That said if you were to move to the UK with 1500h your chances of landing a job on a prop/jet are at least improved; as you say it seems in Canada you require quite a lot more experience to even hope to get in the RHS of a 737 etc. To draw a parallel with the UK, by the time I have the 4000h TT you mention to get your first sniff in Canada or the US I would expect to have my first jet command in the company I currently work for. I find it strange the UK differs so much compared to most other parts of the world on this subject.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do