PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - S61 Radius of Action
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2007, 07:54
NRDK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Geoffers is right about the elephant.
The Target figure for Politics is 250nm right?......BUT 210nm radius is as far as you can stretch it realistically (been there done that on several occassions) As you know you usually get back with just a little less than the target MLA you 'required' (SK61 =100lbs Total!) plus 10% of max fuel 520lbs. So doing the job and landing on with 620lbs doesn't usually happen. Outbound speed is reduced slightly at the over weight certified 21500lbs for the first hour. The onscene 20min loiter bit always takes longer and burns more than you would like and then hey presto the wind changes direction and speed, go figure!
But then again I'm sure the MOD often fall short on targets too (did when I was there). Point is irrelevant now the North will soon be sporting Nicks L's S92's and they will be able to do the long range jobs that the RAF Sea Kings can't quite get to. On the South coast the AW139 doesn't need the Radius of action required elsewhere. When SAR is 'privatised' the Sea King will be parked up somewhere with its cracked frames and we will be seeing some slightly 'newer' cabs on the block able to do a real long range target figure without striping all the kit out before take off. If you want Crab, you can be my co-pilot on some long range 'fishing trips'!