PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL in USA
Thread: ATPL in USA
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2007, 00:33
Monopole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think its a fair point that most Oz compaines require the OZ ATPL
On the contrary (imo) tomwato. From what I can gather most Oz operators don't care where the licence is issued. I have several friends who went the US route, and they all bar one, have regional airline gigs in oz (and one in VB).

I looked at going down this road a few years back, but objected to the requirement of submitting finger prints to go on the US crimminal data base before I did anything wrong. I also objected to obtaining a visa (other then the training visa and contradictory to the fact that the USA and Aust have a visa waiver programme) just because i'm a 'white male between the ages of 18 and 65'.

And as for the fairness in the time taken to do it.......

If you rocked up to sit the exam without any study you would not pass. The fact that if you do fail you may not sit the exam again for another 30 days adds some pressure if time or money are tight. You then require a test flight which will also require some training. Ok, so maybe you can do it in roughly a week, but it is not as easy as we Australians make it out to be. The flight test is probably harder then any flight test you have ever done (from what I've heard).

Shadow04, unless you inspire to nothing less then VB, or QF I would not be too concerned about a US ATPL. It can even work in your favour.